This day last year we received a picture of Mastewal with some of the contents of our first care package. Wow. What a difference a year makes!
If you are a regular reader and/or I “know” you in real life or “blog world” please contact me for the password for the previous post, if you are interested. email@example.com
So after weeks of the up and downs about homeschooling, we’ve decided on what is best for Mastewal and our family right now. Yesterday I called the Board of Education because I was under the impression (based on information that they had sent me) that I could not take Mastewal out of school if I decided to put her in school and later changed my mind. Not so. So we’ve decided that we will send her to school and then if we don’t feel it’s the right decision for all of us we will come back to the homeschooling. I feel such a peace about this decision as opposed to any other of the scenarios I’d worked out. I feel like a weight has been lifted. So now, we just need word from our PID that we can get the 2 more needed immunizations for her to start school.
And just to have a picture with this post, here’s Mastewal learning to ride riding her bike with no training wheels.
Her first "outfit" she picked from the bag we brought for her
His "first outfit"
Dinner at Makush with Elias and the Talcott Family
Elias's wife invited us over for a coffee ceremony at their house
Coffee ceremony in Elias' house
Zuriash performing coffee ceremony at The New Flower Guesthouse
Cultural Dinner at Yod Abyssinia with Helen (New Flower Owner)
Emily sent these pics from our time in Ethiopia. I requested them for the books I hope to do for Mastewal and Afton. Thought I would post them here, since they’ve never been seen before. We missed these events with our camera, somehow.
So I’ve got a lot on my mind lately. Last week (after months of the back and forth regarding whether to homeschool Mastewal or not) I received my Sonlight curriculum that we ordered. We’ve loved all that we’ve learned and I’ve enjoyed the the Bible stories everyday. Meanwhile, I still have her registered for kindergarten at our local school. I’ve went over the pros and cons and we decided that we’d “try” homeschooling before school actually starts, to see if it is a good fit for our family. It is and it isn’t. The pros for homeschooling definitely outweigh the cons, but I’m still on the fence.
We’ve also planned to send Afton to preschool in the fall because we feel he’d really enjoy the interaction with other children his age. But I’m not sure that will be best for him either. He’s had a really rough time at VBS this week. We haven’t forced him to go, but he cried for “daddy” the second night and wanted to come home immediately when we arrived instead of staying for the music. And then last night he refused to stay at all and would not even sit on the floor beside me, he had to sit in my lap. I asked him to get up so we could move to the craft area and he screamed a scream I haven’t heard since Ethiopia. So we came home. He wants nothing do with it. When we walked backed to pick up Mastewal I thought he’d want to stay for the songs, but again he didn’t want me to put him down and we just walked home instead of staying for the songs. I definitely think it could be a combo of reasons of why he doesn’t want to stay (it’s close to bedtime, his teacher said several times “I could just take you home with me”–which didn’t set well with Afton, and there are a ton of children in the intro and finale (where they do the songs) So I’m afraid he will associate “his school” (preschool) with the VBS (they are both at the same church) and not want to go to preschool either. Everything feels like a toss up right now. I’m not really asking for advice, I’m just trying to think it through and figure out what is best for US (all of us). Uggh. Decisions. Decisions.
And just for kicks. If I were homeschooling (as I was today) we could take advantage of great discoveries around the house (like this bat outside that was hanging on the laundry room window. And then again he’s (the bat) been here all day and as I type this, so even if they were sent to school they’d be able to see after they were home 🙂 Just sayin’
The readoption/finalization did not happen on Friday. We showed up at court and our attorney was sick. We were rescheduled for August 5. We’ve still enjoyed a weekend of fun times with family and friends. Mastewal even learned to ride her bike with no training wheels in record time yesterday!