Two years ago we were united with Mastewal and Afton in Ethiopia.
Monthly Archives: February 2011
So on this day two years ago, we landed in Ethiopia.
Today, I am reminded that I REALLY need to complete my post-adoption reports for M & A. I am procrastinating.
I am wrapped up in the details of our move and the hopeful sale of our house.
The details are wearing me out.
I am tired at the end of the day.
Feeling exposed as many people involved in the move/sale have began to invade our home.
Trying to keep it looking “as good as it gets” for those visitors.
Wanting to hear about the place we hope to call home in NC tomorrow, but realizing that I may now have to wait until Thursday–because of one more piece of paper.
This feels familiar. Waiting.
- Our house is on the market! It’s kind of weird, but I’m excited. Time to get movin’ on this move.
- We may have our home in NC lined up. We will probably find out next week. Excited about this! It was one that we were told was not available last week.
- pimped out wheels
- ethiopia trip
So we ended up leaving around 1:30am early Saturday morning and arrived in NC at my friends house in the morning. We were so tired. After showering we did a ride around of the area. Ummm. I slept through most of it and felt terrible, with sore throat and headache. We have mexican for lunch and then Heather had some friends over and we had chili! It was so nice visiting and staying with my friend.
On Sunday, we attended church, had lunch and went around looking at different areas and taking down information. We ended the day with moving to the hotel and grabbing some snacks for our stay.
On Monday, Heather met me at the hotel and we went to the property management company and I picked three homes to check out. I already had my mind set on one of them. I loved the second property and I think it was evident that this was the place I wanted based on location, school, the home…everything. Heather, her daugther and I had a nice lunch downtown at Pierro’s (sp) and then met up with Seth. Seth and I then went back to “the house” and looked around a little more. Upon returning the keys they receptionist informed us that someone had put that property “on hold” and that I could call back on Wednesday afternoon to see if they had followed through. Ugh. I was crushed.
- Afton’s Birthday: We had a wonderful party today for Aftio! He turned 5 years old. We enjoyed a good time with some family and friends.
- I was able to ship 15 shirts/onesies for Mandie in Uganda!
- Today was a hectic day. Party planning. Cleaning the house or shifting stuff around so it doesn’t appear that 5 people, a dog and a tornado live here…because a realtor also came today. AND I’m still not packed to leave tonight for North Carolina–and it’s 11:26. We’re not leaving tonight, it will be early morning.
- Illness. Yuck. I am tired of it. We making our rounds again with congestion, runny noses and coughs. We’ve had our share, I’d like for it to move out of this household.
- Stuff. Wow. Isn’t it funny how much stuff we all have? I’ve noticed that we still seems to have a lot of “stuff” even though I feel like I make a weekly run to the Goodwill.
- Househunting. We are going
tonightearly morning to NC to house hunt/check the area out. We will be staying two nightsone night with my friend Heather who I’ve known since second grade. How fun is that? To end up in the same place after these years that our lives have taken us in different directions. I look forward to the “break”.
- Roper. We need to find him a home. He needs more attention than what we are able to give at the moment. He’s a wonderful dog. He’s great with kids. He’s an enthusiastic greeter and housetrained. You know anyone?
You can participate by going here.
- thanks to readers: Thanks for all the emails, facebook messages etc. regarding the rockin’ mama challenge. I’m just putting myself out there, because I know there are other families that may have similar struggles and I think there comfort in knowing you are not alone.
- illnesses: whew. this week has set me back a little. I feel like I’ve had a little bit of everything and now as I finish up this post (on Sunday instead of Friday) I have some type of eye irritation that has my eye looking a little pink and bloodshot.
- africa: I’m ready to go back. haha. no surprise there. maybe whenever this move happens i’ll be able to work on that a little more 🙂
- tax return: completed. happy about this. i’m always relieved to get it done.
- myer is coming along with his speech. he’s made significant progress since we began therapy in the fall. my favorite right now is when i pick him up from preschool and he runs to me saying “momma”. he said “momma” before but he just seems to be putting more thoughts and words together.
- sleepovers. i found myself getting choked up when i dropped mastewal off at a sleepover this weekend. she has good friends here. it really makes me happy to see how people love and accept her….and how enthusiastically they greet her.
- afton: he made it one night without an accident. it was awesome. we’re working on this. he also seems really interested in new york right now. he actually read the words the other day on a sticker and has been talking about it since. he’s even gone to the bookshelf and grabbed the new york tourist book to read over.
she is very angry when it is time to rock
from previous conversations
she plops down on me with her back to me
i said we did not have to rock if she didn’t want to
she says she doesn’t want to talk
begins snapping fingers
i say nothing
i think she wants me to
i ask one time if there is something she want to talk about
if something is bothering her
she begins talking to me about school
and a writing assigment that is due friday
she says she only has 4 words completed and it’s supposed to be a story
i can tell she is bothered by this also—because it is a contest
she talks about this for 10 minutes
she is stressed
she is a perfectionist
she is setting the standards high for herself
although she is stressed and angry today I walked away from the rocking with a sense of happiness
she opened up to me about what is going on with her
which explains some behavior
and i didn’t have to pry the information out of her